Desktop violin notes

P2 Visa

P2 Visa Information

What is a P2 Visa?

For Canadian musicians to work in the US, you need a temporary “Classification P2 Work Permit”, or other non-immigrant permit (see the CFM website for more information).

For unpaid work, musicians may be eligible to enter the U.S. under B1 status. 

P2 Work Visa processing times:

Regular processing can take up to 90 days.

Premium processing takes 21-30 days, and includes an additional Premium Processing Fee of $2,500 USD.  These estimates are subject to change without notice. The earlier you can get your application in, the better. P2 information, including fees and processing times are always subject to change without notice. 

Please note that all P2 Work Visa applications are processed in Toronto and the time frame for processing is based on when it is received in Toronto.

**NOTE: the time frames above are for Canadian Citizens only. There are extra steps, time and cost for Permanent Residents: Permanent Residents_P2 Extra Steps, Time and Costs

P2 Assistance

If you would like a VMA staff member to review your P2, please email or call (604) 737-1110 to make an appointment. We can courier your P2 application to Toronto on your behalf at a cost of $50.00.

Foreign Artists (from the US and abroad) wanting to work in Canada

If you are trying to bring a foreign artist or group into Canada to perform please contact:

Susan Whitfield

  • Email:
  • Phone: 416-391-5161 ext.223
  • Toll free in Canada: 1-800-463-6333 ext.223